Monday, February 4, 2008

Superbowl

Sometimes I think it's a miracle that Mike and I fell in love and sustained such a wonderful relationship. I say this because we have practically nothing in common. We don't eat the same things. We don't watch the same television shows nor do we like the same movies (in most cases) He loves computers, video games & sports. I am the complete opposite. Except for our love of travelling and our dog, we do not share in the same interests on a day to day basis. I get aggravated with computers/gadgets, love the idea of playing video games but I'm a horrible player & sports - well I just don't get it. I once went to a Mets game with Mike on a scorching hot July day. I was so antsy in my seat that I took several trips to the concession stand just so I'd have something to keep myself occuppied. I ended up spending $50 on junk food!
Over the years I've tried my hardest to like what he likes, but trying is mental, doing is real. So this year, for the very first time, we are having our first football, oops I mean Superbowl party. It's going to be a small party which should be much easier to manage than say having 20 people over yelling and screaming. I'm going to have plenty of Superbowl friendly food around. For the first time, I will sit down among my husband and his buddies and watch the game. I don't mean that I'll just wait for the commercials, but I will sit through it. Now that I've said it, I must do it. Stay tuned and Go Giants!?

---------------------------------------------

As you all know, the Giants won! It was an amazing game coming from a girl who has never watched football before. I sat through most of it. I tried to understand it but too much was happening too fast for me to quite get it. Despite, not knowing all the rules, I actually enjoyed it. I didn't hide in the kitchen, but I sat with my fellow Giants fans and thoroughly enjoyed it. We had a couple of diehard fans in the room, my husband included. It got pretty exciting and while I can see why, a part of me wonders; how did they become such loyal fans? It's quite perplexing to me that not only in our living room, but there were thousands, maybe even millions of people out there in the world, all rooting for their favorite team at the same time. I rooted for the Giants because they are from New York and most importantly, I sat among Giant fans, and for a few moments I felt like I was a fan too. Obviously, it made it all the better when they won. I'm sure in a few days I'll forget all about football but I'm looking forward to the next Superbowl.
For our first Superbowl party, we had a few must have's: Pizza Bagels, Chicken/Cheese Quesadillas, Crudite & hummus, Pigs in a blanket, Fresh fruit platter and Black and White cookies. We also had chips with salsa, guacomole and french onion dip as well.




1 comment:

Chris Stone said...

glad to hear you enjoyed the game. It was a great one. *sniff*